Friday, August 26, 2005

Grandparent days.

Another glorious day and what better way to spend it than with two of our delightful grandchildren. After a variety of activities at home including a little TV, playing with dolls, playdough and animals, music on the keyboard, and making jelly, it was off to the playground a short walk up the hill. Turns on the swings, slides and bridges were all shared with the teddy bears. When grandparents were worn out from pushing swings and hovering in case of falls, we ventured further up the path to find a grassy, shady spot for our picnic lunch. Salad sandwiches, apple juice pretending to be beer, and fruit. Even a 2-year-old can peel a mandarin. Back to the swings and slides before counting the blocks in the path on the way home. Chocolate icecream in cones on the deck finished off our feast.

Shay and I planted two punnets of Stocks while Luca dug holes and scattered dirt everywhere, but he was happy to assist with the watering. Shay took another punnet of Stocks home to plant in her garden. When ShellyC picked them up she was more tired than we were because she had been studying all day.

I think everyone should try really hard to have grandchildren! They keep you young even if they do wear you out.

Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Miss Robyn said...

and even better ~ you can hand them back when you need a nap. I have two grandsons who I adore...my eldest helps me garden, the youngest pulls all the buds of my hyacinths..... but they sure tire me out!
Sounds like you had a fun time making memories with those grandchildren of yours....hope your evening is a relaxing one

Alice said...

After the icecream they 'helped' me plant two punnets of Stocks. Shay (4) is actually very good at planting seedlings, while Luca (2) just dug holes and scattered dirt everywhere. He did help water them, though. I'm always keen to encourage an interest in gardening. I gave Shay another punnet of Stocks to take home for her garden.

Miss Robyn said...

stocks are such a vintage flower - I love them

Alice said...

Stocks have such a beautiflly subtle perfume.

Anonymous said...

Re: "I think everyone should try really hard to have grandchildren"

This gave me a chuckle. I agree!

Calidore said...

Ashley can't wait to have grandchildren, but considering the kids are only 12, 9 and 5 I think he may be waiting a while. I can wait though. I would like a few years to ourselves before the next generation comes along, then I will be ready to spoil them rotton and hand them back.

Alice said...

Could it be that Ashley sometimes wishes the children were grandchildren, then he could give them back? (lol)

Peggy said...

My thoughts about grandchildren are they are our reward for having children!

kath red said...

yay for grandparents

Shell said...

Golly, well I have a while before I have to think about grandchildren yet. My mother would be thrilled if I was even contemplating children! I suppose I'm getting to that age, but I just don't feel ready (my mother says that noone ever is). Looks like you had a marvellous time though, I know from my nieces that children that age make me tired too!

Kali said...

What a lovely day ~ and such cuties!