Friday, September 18, 2009

Welsh National Anthem (video)

Further to my last posting on the Welsh National Anthem, I had been hoping to find a YouTube video of either Aled Jones or Katherine Jenkins singing this stirring anthem. Alas, there's none of Aled; there is one of Katherine, with reasonably good sound but very distorted visuals.

So this is the best I could find.

Here, too, is an English translation - one of many. They vary slightly but give the gist of the anthem's meaning.



The land of my fathers, the land of my choice,
The land in which poets and minstrels rejoice;
The land whose stern warriors were true to the core,
While bleeding for freedom of yore.

Chorus
Wales! Wales! fav'rite land of Wales!
While sea her wall, may naught befall
To mar the old language of Wales.

3 comments:

Gattina said...

Welsh is a language I really don't understand, that's the same with scottish, lol !

Kerri said...

That tune is beginning to sound familiar :)
Thank you, Alice, for the English translation. Knowing the anthem's meaning makes it all the more stirring. It's beautiful!

diane b said...

Thats stirring stuff. Wales has certainly produced many fine choirs and singers.