Saturday, October 08, 2005

I Hope They DIE!!

Regular readers will know that I am more than happy to encourage new, or not-so-new, gardeners to take an interest in plants and their gardens. I love to share cuttings, seedlings and plants with anyone who asks. However, I am not willing to share my plants with those who come armed with a spade and just help themselves.

A very pretty variegated Hebe, a small silver-leafed Helichrysum and something else that I can't recall have been dug out of the front garden. Obviously, not the work of a true gardener as, firstly, they wouldn't have stolen them and, secondly, the holes are so shallow that the spade must have sliced clean through the roots.

Fortunately, I have more of the missing plants - one of the advantages of being an incurable propagator - so they are not lost to me forever. I guess I should be thankful that I've not lost more plants from that garden as it runs right along the front footpath. A few things have disappeared over the years and there's been a few cases of wanton vandalism (like a car being driven down the centre of the garden), but all in all we've been pretty lucky.

PS. I hope the PLANTS die, not the thieves.

"Where are you now, oh pretty Hebe?" Posted by Picasa


The parent of the missing Helichrysum. Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Sandy said...

It never fails to amaze me the idiots and nasty people. Who does things like that??? Get a life!! They obviously don't believe in Karma!

Tanya said...

Hmmmm... sort of brings back memories of taking random cuttings from near a nursery on Magnetic Island, no....? Though those WERE just cuttings, so not nearly so bad. You just need to tell yourself that the thieves clearly needed the plants a lot more than you did....

Miss Robyn said...

it sickens me that people would stoop so low as to steal plants..if they were true gardeners, then they would know that all they had to do was knock on your door and you would have given them a cutting.
I have had statues stolen from my garden in previous years and a friend had a whole lot of bird houses that her husband had made, stolen from her front verandah - I hope the plants die too Alice . shame on those idiots

Calidore said...

Some people have nothing better to do with their day. I can't stand people like this - but remember what goes around, comes around.

Sandy said...

There is a entry about this at dirtbyamystewart.blogspot.com

Maggie Ann said...

Thats a shame, that someone would just dig away in your garden without asking. Must be sickening. Glad that doesn't happen too often and you had back-up plantings.

sharonb said...

Hi Alice - I hink there must be a bit of a theft binge on in Canberra as I had a lilac tree stolen yesterday

Alice said...

Oh Sharon, a lilac tree is much more valuable than my couple of little things, especially when you are still re-establishing your garden. Let's hope they don't visit the scene of their crime twice.