Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Arboretum

A new Arboretum and Gardens are to be established on 250 hectares of land near Lake Burley Griffin. This land, once covered in pine forests, was burnt out in the 2003 bushfires. A national competition has been conducted for the design of this project, and all 45 entries are on display this week. Five finalists have been chosen. We had a look at all of the entries today. A great deal of work has gone into these designs, with stunning results. I'm only sad that I won't be around in 50 years time to see the mature trees, etc. I really liked some of the designs, whilst others I found difficult to follow. We were a bit surprised by the selection of the five finalists as we felt that some of the others had better elements to them. But then, who are we to judge!! It will certainly be a magnificent project.

1 comment:

Linda said...

What a wonderful way to replace pines. I know we need to have them, but I really do not like them. It will be interesting to see if they have done much to change the soil, and if the Arboretum is of indigenous (ie local) plants, how they go there as opposed to how they go where there has been no change in the land use.

It would be wonderful to go out there now, and take your own photographs, so that one day you can look back and say "I knew this beautiful area when it was like THIS".