Friday, February 11, 2005

Potato Vine with Attitude

After seeing a gorgeous Potato Vine with large blue flowers on the wall of the house at Diggers in Dromana, we bought one last autumn and planted it near the loungeroom wall. It lost its leaves in the winter and for the next few months sat in the ground like two sticks, although obviously still alive. In December, with still no sign of leaves, I dug it up and put it in a pot. As I did so, I noticed that there was the tiniest shoot on one stem. I'm sure it only shot as I dug it up! There are now two 'shoots' each more than a metre long and covered in leaves. This evening I took it back to the garden and planted it near the paling fence. A very tricky task, made more difficult by the fish-hook type thorns growing from behind the leaves. It's these hooks that they use to cling to brick walls rather than growing into the mortar like ivy. Anyway, I've now extracted myself from its clutches, tied it to the fence, and will now wait for the glorious flowers to emerge.

No comments: